鉴黄师app

Skip to main content

About Us

The 鉴黄师app Californian聽is a local newspaper in Kern County. It is the direct descendent of Kern County's first newspaper, The Weekly Courier, which was first published Aug. 18, 1866, in Havilah, Calif. At that time, Havilah, a small mining town about 50 miles northeast of the present site of 鉴黄师app, was the center of the 1864 gold rush, which brought the first major population influx to Kern County. The newspaper's name was later changed to The Havilah Weekly Courier.

As the mineral wealth of the area became depleted, and the population moved southward toward 鉴黄师app, so did the newspaper. In 1872, the newspaper moved to 鉴黄师app and set up shop as The Kern County Weekly Courier. In 1876, the Courier merged with another 鉴黄师app newspaper, The Southern Californian, to form The Kern County Californian. The newspaper's name was changed to The Daily Californian in 1891 with the advent of daily publication. In 1897, the Kern County superintendent of schools, Alfred Harrell, purchased the newspaper.

Harrell gave聽The 鉴黄师app Californian聽its present name in 1907. In 1926, he moved the newspaper into its present location in downtown 鉴黄师app at 1707 Eye Street. In 1983, that structure was placed on The National Register of Historic Places, the official list of the nation's cultural resources worthy of preservation. He served as editor and publisher of the newspaper until his death in 1946. During his almost 50 years in the newspaper business, he came to be respected as one of the best newspapermen in the country. In 1969, Harrell became the 24th person to be named to the 鉴黄师apppaper Hall of Fame.

Under Harrell's leadership,聽The 鉴黄师app Californian聽was recognized as one of California's finest newspapers, winning over 40 state and national awards for journalistic excellence while he served as editor and publisher.

After Mr. Harrell's death, his wife, Virginia, became president of聽The Californian. She held that position until her death in 1954 when the Harrells' daughter, Bernice Harrell Chipman, assumed the position of president. Mrs. Chipman died in 1967.

Berenice Fritts Koerber, granddaughter of Alfred Harrell, was the president of聽The 鉴黄师app Californian聽from 1967 until her death in 1988. Through Mrs. Koerber's leadership, the company sustained strong growth and in 1984 constructed a $21 million state-of-the-art publishing facility. This facility is named the Harrell-Fritts Publishing Center and is located at the company's airport business center near Meadows Field, north of downtown 鉴黄师app.

When the $21 million publishing facility was completed,聽The Californian聽became one of the most technically advanced newspaper companies in the United States. Included in the facility is a state-of-the-art offset press built by Tokyo Kikai Seisakusho Ltd (TKS) of Japan. The news and advertising copy gathered at聽The Californian's downtown offices is transmitted to the facility 6.3 miles away using an underground fiber-optic cable system, which was the first of its kind for a newspaper in the United States.

In January 1989, Virginia F. Moorhouse, daughter of Berenice Koerber, was elected chairman and president of The 鉴黄师app Californian.

In December 2014, Virginia "Ginny" Cowenhoven, daughter of Virginia F. "Ginger" Moorhouse, was named associate publisher, the fifth generation of the Harrell-Fritts family to serve in a leadership position at the locally owned media company.

On November 5, 2018, TBC Media moved its operations from downtown 鉴黄师app to 3700 Pegasus Drive, 鉴黄师app, CA 93308.

On July 1, 2019, Sound California 鉴黄师app Media, Inc. became the owners of The 鉴黄师app Californian, 鉴黄师app Life, Delano Record, Kern Business Journal, Tehachapi 鉴黄师app, The Voice including the corresponding websites, mobile app and e-Editions.